Indian-Style Vegetarian Fried Rice.
You can have Indian-Style Vegetarian Fried Rice using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indian-Style Vegetarian Fried Rice
- Prepare 3 cup of basmati rice, uncooked.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- You need 2 of large carrots, diced.
- You need 1 tbsp of black mustard seed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of peanuts.
- You need 1/2 cup of cashew nuts, bits and halves.
- You need 1/2 cup of moong dal.
- You need 1/2 cup of desi channa dal.
- Prepare 3 of Indian red chilis, dried and broken up.
- It’s 2 of medium Indian green chilis.
- Prepare 2 of small Indian green chilis.
- It’s 2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 handful of curry leaves, chiffonade.
- You need 1 tbsp of turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of asafoetida.
- You need 1 tsp of cardamon pods, green and bruised.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Prepare 1 cup of green peas.
- Prepare 2 handfuls of cilantro, chopped.
Indian-Style Vegetarian Fried Rice step by step
- OK, cook the basmati rice. It's two to 1, people. Two cups water for every cup of basmati. So, 3 cups rice means 6 cups water, equaling 6 cups cooked. Set aside in open air to cool and dry a bit..
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large wok on low. If you don't have one, you should get one as it is super versatile pan..
- Toss in the carrots and mustard seeds, and let that simmer until the seeds start to crackle a little..
- Ok, now toss in the nuts and dals. Let those toast (not burn; be careful) stirring intermittently another 5 minutes, and then toss in the chilis and salt..
- Now let's make it interesting and add the curry leaves, turmeric, cumin, ginger, asafoetida, and bruised green cardamon. Note: Curry powder is a totally different thing; don't use it here. Also Note: Cardamon pods are barely edible, so you may want to pick them out after they've simmered a while, if that's the way you roll. Simmer for a couple of minutes..
- Now add in the ghee and peas and simmer for another 3 minutes or so..
- Mix in the rice! Try to get it mixed thoroughly with gentle hands and only as much as necessary. You aren't out to make rice paste..
- Now add in the cilantro (gentle hands), add more salt as needed to taste, and serve. Note: In fried rice, salt has a way of taking a few minutes to really bloom. As such, you may accidentally add more salt when you should have waited a moment for it to integrate, thereby making it salty. Don't be that guy; be patient..