Vegetarian Quiche Lorraine.
You can cook Vegetarian Quiche Lorraine using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Quiche Lorraine
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 1 block of of smoked Tofu (this recipe doesn't really work if the Tofu isn't smoked, as it gives it the bacon flavour).
- It’s 1 small of onion.
- Prepare 200 ml of of cooking cream or creme fraiche if available.
- Prepare 150 grams of of grated gruyere or emmental cheese.
- It’s 4 large of or 5 medium eggs + 1 egg yolk.
- It’s 2 tbsp of of good olive oil.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare of Pastry.
- It’s 1 of roll of puff pastry.
- Prepare 1 tsp of of french or grain mustard.
- It’s of Utensils.
- Prepare 1 of frying pan.
- It’s 1 of round shallow tart dish or pie dish roughly 30 cms in diametre.
- It’s 1 large of bowl for the egg mixture.
- Prepare 1 of round piece of oven/grease proof paper roughly the size of your tart/pie dish (optional if your dish is non stick).
- It’s 1 of chopping board, sharp knife, wooden spoon.
Vegetarian Quiche Lorraine step by step
- preheat oven to180°C for fan assisted ovens or 190° C.
- keep the roll of puff pastry in the fridge until needed. It'll make it easier to handle later….
- chop the onion finely, dice the smoked Tofu into small pieces (roughly the size of peas).
- lightly fry the chopped onion in the oil until soft and lightly Brown – 5 mins.
- add the chopped smoked Tofu until nice and brown, adding a little salt and pepper along the way – 10 mins.
- once cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside to cool while you prepare the egg mixture and the pastry. It is IMPORTANT that it's cooled right down by the time you mix it to the eggs later….
- break the eggs into the bowl and mix well with a fork for 1 min, then add a little salt and pepper (not too much salt as the cheese we will add later is already quite salty).
- pour in the cooking cream (or mix in the creme fraiche) and stir well, then mix in the grated cheese and stir again.
- stir in the onion/tofu mixture. IMPORTANT: make sure your onion/tofu mixture is nice and cool before your mix it in with the egg mixture otherwise it will cook your eggs and end up looking like scrambled egg..
- now, if you have non stick dish, ignore this step… Otherwise, cut a round piece out of the oven/grease proof paper, and place it at the bottom of your dish. This will prevent your quiche from sticking and will be easy to unmold..
- then take the puff pastry out of the fridge and unroll over your dish, gently pushing the pastry down with your fingers into the dish, then folding the excess back inside the dish along the edge (this will make a nice thick puffy crust).
- spread the mustard very thinly on the pastry (bottom only) then prick the bottom of the pastry repeatedly with a fork. This is a very IMPORTANT step, otherwise the puff pastry will raise up..
- now pour the filling onto the pastry, and with a fork, gently spread the filling evenly..
- stick in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 mins, until golden brown. If you do not have a fan assisted oven, I would recommend you turn the quiche after 15 mins halfway round to cook evenly..
- best served warm with a side of green/mix salad and a glass of chilled white wine from the Lorraine region (a Gamay, Aligoté or Gris de Toul).